photo q1_zpscd9da648.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q2_zps95da3dae.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q3_zps747c53f9.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q6_zps32c3ba5d.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q4_zpse6214d9c.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q5_zps8a7bdd1d.png

Sunday 19 October 2014

Love Patchwork and Quilting: The Magazine with Heart

If you've been following me on Instagram, you might have noticed that I recently had some super-exciting news to share. Many months ago, I submitted a quilt design to Love Patchwork and Quilting. I was ecstatic to find out that the design was accepted, and then shocked when I found out my quilt made the cover!!

image courtesy of Love Patchwork and Quilting

The funny thing is, the quilt you see in the photos was not even the original quilt design I submitted. This was actually an alternate design I sent to the editor, Jenny Fox-Proverbs, when the first quilt didn't work out. Yes, you heard it right. The first quilt I was supposed to make for them was a total fail and the fact that Jenny even gave me another chance is nothing short of amazing. Later Jenny told me that it was probably all meant to be and I think that she's probably right.


image courtesy of Love Patchwork and Quilting

Originally,  I was supposed to make a lone star quilt with Anna Maria Horner's fabric, Pretty Potent. I made that quilt, and when it was all together I realized something.  IT WAS UGLY. Horrendously ugly. In the planning phases I made a mini version that turned out beautifully, but when all those prints and diamonds were enlarged for the big version it somehow changed and ended up looking like a trashy jungle quilt out of a quilting nightmare. I couldn't send that quilt to them, and my deadline was coming up, and after a few days of panic, I finally emailed Jenny and told her the terrible news. I assumed that my quilting career was over and I would have to shut down my blog and go into hiding, but Jenny did something crazy. She gave me another chance. I'll never understand it.




I heard her say once that she thought of her contributors as her children, and since she's not old enough to be my mother I'll just think of her as my fairy godmother. Because really, she could've let me fall on my face, but she didn't. She was understanding and believed in me, even when I was having a hard time believing in myself. Her and her amazing team walked me through the process with kindness and encouragement and I'll forever be grateful to them. Thank you so much Jenny, Alice and Lin!!

Quilt details: Chevron Snowflake, 80" x 80", Issue 14, Love Patchwork and Quilting

Next week I'll be doing a giveaway with the copy of the magazine and a few other items, but if you want to order one now, you can do that here.


12 comments:

  1. This is absolutely stunning!! Congrats on making the cover and I completely agree that this was waiting in the wings as it WAS totally meant to be!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing! You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cristina! You created gorgeus quilt! I love the pattern and colours! This could be quilt for any season but it really looks fantastic with the Christmas theme! Perfect choice for the cover of the magazine! Greetings from Greece! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a gorgeous quilt, and a much deserved cover girl, well done! Would still love to see the first quilt though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am overjoyed for you! This is georgous just like you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!!!! So, me being the self-titled anna maria horner addict In am, you MUST send me a pick of the first quilt!! Pah-leazze!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well this one is stunning! I find it hard to believe you make anything ugly! So happy that you made the cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt and a great story! I'm a U.S. subscriber (in Texas!) to the magazine and it has quickly become my favorite. It's nice to know the back story to your cover quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Your work is amazing and I'm so glad that magazines are realizing it. I love your quilt and can't wait to get the magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! It's so stunning, Cristina, and I couldn't be happier for you! And there would be protests in the street if you ever shut down this blog. I'd burn my bra or something if you did that! That might be trashy, but I'd do something. I can make posters with the best of them, but those were only ever for people running for student body president. Don't know much about protest posters.

    I digress. You are amazing. I'm glad you took the risk and refused to submit an ugly quilt. This girl is gorgeous-ness! Can't wait to see what else comes out of your sewing space!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quilt is incredible! Congratulations! I'll look forward to seeing it then as I am a big fan of Love Patchwork and Quilting, right from issue one!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all comments, and will respond to you as soon as I can:) If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address so I can write you back.

XOXO Cristina