Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Military-Friendly Quilt Shops

For U.S. military members and their families, shopping online when you live at an APO/FPO address can sometimes be very frustrating.




For those unfamiliar with APO (Army/Air Force Post Office) and FPO (Fleet Post Office or Federal Post Office) addresses, it is an American address that is used for military members living on a base or post overseas. Many U.S. merchants will not ship to APO, or they will only use couriers that do not deliver to APO, like UPS or FedEx. Or they can magically read your IP address and see that you're ordering from a different country, and as a security measure, will decline processing the order.

Of course, members can always order online within the country they live in (if they have what they need); however, it sometimes proves impossible to enter your payment information because the billing address is US and that isn't an option. It seems like there's one roadblock after another.

For the most part, quilt-shops are far ahead of the game when compared to other online merchants. Most quilt shops will now ship APO, whereas when I started quilting a few years back, I could only find a handful that would, and mainly it was only fabric. I had a very difficult time getting notions, or bigger things, like bags of batting. I'm grateful for the shops that would ship to me, and even more grateful that they offered discounts to military members, or would ship those hard-to-obtain items.

And I would like to share those shops with you today and just say "THANK YOU" to them for helping me out. The list is not all-encomposing, and if you know of any others, please let me know!! I will be adding shops to the list as I find them, and there is a button on the sidebar just in case any military members (or their family members) are out there and need quilt supplies!!

Quilt Shops that offer free/discount shipping to APO/FPO addresses:

Quiltbug.com - Free shipping to all APO/FPO address (and will even ship Quilter's Dream Batting--for free!)

Southern Stitches Quilts - Free shipping to all APO/FPO addresses

Quilting Adventures - Free shipping for orders over $35 to all APO/FPO addresses

Crazy Quilt Girl Fabric Shop - Free shipping for orders over $75 to APO/FPO addresses

Fat Quarter Shop - Free shipping for orders over $80 to all APO/FPO addresses

Donna's Lavender Nest - $5 shipping for orders up to 10 yards for all APO/FPO addresses

Quilt shops that will ship bolts of batting:

JOANN - Offers an in-store 10% discount to military members every day. Will also ship batting by the bolt to APO/FPO addresses for about $20 (and you can still use your 40% off coupon). The shipping is SAM (space available) but finding a merchant that will ship such a large item is worth recognition).

Other quilt shops that ship APO/FPO:

Hawthorne Threads

Fort Worth Fabric Studio

Fresh Modern Fabric

UK Fabric shops that will ship to US APO addresses in the UK:

SewandQuilt.co.uk

The Homemakery

The Village Haberdashery

Again, I would just like to say "THANK YOU" to all the quilt shops out there that support their military members, and understand that girls who wear combat-boots to work can still be quilters!!





3 comments:

  1. Cristina you are so sweet to include me. Thank you so much. You know I would love to do FREE shipping to a APO address. I will need to figure this out.
    Hope you are doing well.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea APO addresses had these problems! Are you glad to be coming home? I don't think I have ever said thank you for your service and sacrifice! If you ever need me to get anything and ship to you I would be happy to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember explaining to shops they ship to NY and military takes it from there. It doesn't cost them more as you know. Did you happen to get my email? I just want to be sure you got it and didn't think I'm ignoring yours. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all comments, and will respond to you as soon as I can:) If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address so I can write you back.

XOXO Cristina